The City of Rio Vista was founded originally in 1858 as Los Brazos Del Rio - "The arms of the river". In 1894 the City of Rio Vista incorporated. The city's location on the Sacramento River made it a natural river port for agriculture and general shipping. As a point of interest, it was a transfer station for the Pony Express changing from ship to horse.
During the mid-thirties, natural gas was discovered making the area the largest natural gas field west of the Rocky Mountains. Today the community's dependence on the natural gas industry has been greatly reduced due to the diminished gas field. Agriculture, manufacturing and tourism now play the important role of jobs and commerce to the city.
Our excellent quality of life within the Delta make Rio Vista a great place to live and work!